The jets from RAF Leuchars in Scotland were sent to “determine the identity of unknown aircraft”, which turned away before reaching British airspace.
“The aircraft were subsequently identified as Russian military aircraft,” said a ministry spokesman.
“The Russian military aircraft remained in international airspace at all times as they are perfectly entitled to do so.”
RAF jets were deployed in similar circumstances eight times last year, but no Russian military flights ever entered UK airspace without authorisation, the spokesman said.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:BritainscramblesjetsafterRussianplaneapproachesairspace|Aviation&AirForceNewsatDefenceTalk, nasa new fitherplane
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- F-35 - International Participation
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Flanker Export Thread
- North Korean Military.
- Underwater UFO at Sweden
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Iran Inaugurates Production Line of HAFEZ Radar System
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Indian Navy Discussions and Updates