The jets from RAF Leuchars in Scotland were sent to “determine the identity of unknown aircraft”, which turned away before reaching British airspace.
“The aircraft were subsequently identified as Russian military aircraft,” said a ministry spokesman.
“The Russian military aircraft remained in international airspace at all times as they are perfectly entitled to do so.”
RAF jets were deployed in similar circumstances eight times last year, but no Russian military flights ever entered UK airspace without authorisation, the spokesman said.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- S.Korea, Indonesia to develop 4.5 gen. fighter aircraft F-33
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- UAV for Meteorological duty.
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Ukranian Crisis
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- ADF General discussion thread
- Assad's strategic options
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates