The jets from RAF Leuchars in Scotland were sent to “determine the identity of unknown aircraft”, which turned away before reaching British airspace.
“The aircraft were subsequently identified as Russian military aircraft,” said a ministry spokesman.
“The Russian military aircraft remained in international airspace at all times as they are perfectly entitled to do so.”
RAF jets were deployed in similar circumstances eight times last year, but no Russian military flights ever entered UK airspace without authorisation, the spokesman said.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:BritainscramblesjetsafterRussianplaneapproachesairspace|Aviation&AirForceNewsatDefenceTalk, nasa new fitherplane
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- PC GAMES (Defence/Military, Strategy)
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Compact Fusion Reactor
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- The Indonesian Army
- Underwater UFO at Sweden
- Author Research - Exercises