The jets from RAF Leuchars in Scotland were sent to “determine the identity of unknown aircraft”, which turned away before reaching British airspace.
“The aircraft were subsequently identified as Russian military aircraft,” said a ministry spokesman.
“The Russian military aircraft remained in international airspace at all times as they are perfectly entitled to do so.”
RAF jets were deployed in similar circumstances eight times last year, but no Russian military flights ever entered UK airspace without authorisation, the spokesman said.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:BritainscramblesjetsafterRussianplaneapproachesairspace|Aviation&AirForceNewsatDefenceTalk, nasa new fitherplane
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Underwater UFO at Sweden
- Compact Fusion Reactor
- Author Research - Exercises
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- VMFAT501 F35B , VAQ209 Growlers and Hornets!
- 149th FW Lone Star Gunfighters
- The Arsenal Ship Revisited. Again.
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates