The FMS contracts are part of a $98 million indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract for Laser JDAM production and integration that Boeing received in August. The weapons are scheduled for delivery in 2010.
“There is strong international interest in Laser JDAM because it engages both stationary and moving targets with tremendous precision,” said Dan Jaspering, Boeing director of Direct Attack Programs. “There are more than 20 countries that have JDAM, and we expect many of them will adopt Laser JDAM within the next few years.”
A recent Block 08 update to the weapon system’s software increases Laser JDAM’s effectiveness against targets that are turning, accelerating or decelerating. Boeing has completed two successful maneuvering target missions with the Block 08 software, which is expected to be fielded in 2010. In February, Laser JDAM engaged and destroyed a target traveling at an initial speed of 55 miles per hour that quickly decelerated shortly before weapon impact. The second test took place in August against a target traveling at an initial speed of 50 miles per hour that made a sharp turn shortly before weapon impact.
“This enhanced capability makes Laser JDAM an even greater asset for our customers,” added Jaspering. “If the target can be laser-tracked, Laser JDAM will hit it.”
Laser JDAM consists of the standard JDAM guidance tailkit and a Precision Laser Guidance Set kit that acquires and tracks laser target signals.
The weapon is designed to accurately and effectively engage both stationary and fast-moving targets. The tailkit and laser guidance set are easily attached in the field to convert 500-pound bombs into precision laser or GPS-guided munitions.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Go Bag - contents and rationale
- Air Power Australia and Low-Observability
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Regional implications of PKK's truce with Turkey
- The Indonesian Army
- Philippines to Re-Focus on Territorial Defence in 2012
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Pakistan Air Force [PAF] News and Discussions
- South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Indonesian Aero News