BAE Systems has secured a five-year contract to overhaul the Mk45 guns on the ANZAC fleet.
BAE Systems was chosen as the sole source provider of Mk45 Gun In Service Support, Removal, Replacement and Overhaul services to the Royal Australian Navy.
Director of Maritime Bill Saltzer said the contract was awarded earlier this year following the successful overhaul of the ex USN Radford Gun and Loader for HMAS Stuart, which is now ready to resume operational service.
“Our Technical Services team demonstrated its capability by overcoming the challenges the project presented, including major realignment requirements when fitting the gun and loader on HMAS Stuart,” Mr Saltzer said.
“The overhaul of the remaining guns for the ANZAC fleet will be carried out at the BAE Systems shipyard in Williamstown, Victoria and then installation of the guns will be done in conjunction with the ASMD upgrade when the ships are dry berthed at the BAE Systems shipyard in Henderson, WA.
“Accomplishing the gun overhauls concurrently with the ASMD upgrade will ensure these vital assets will not be out of service for any additional length of time.
“It also means the Navy can also be confident that when the ships resume operation they will have both the benefits of the ASMD upgrade and a fully re-conditioned gun with an extended length of service.”
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:BRITISH NAVY-MK45 GUN PICTURES
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- F-35 - International Participation
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Philippine Navy @ Janes Fighting Ships 2014-2015
- US Navy News and updates
- Indian Navy contemplating CVN. Folly or Vision?
- Ukranian Crisis
- Russia's Arctic Expansion
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates