BAE Systems and Lockheed Martin Corporation recently completed a series of successful guided flight tests for 155-mm Long Range Land Attack Projectiles (LRLAP) as part of the on-going qualification test program at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico.
The three tests evaluated the LRLAP’s long-range (63 nautical miles) flight performance and accuracy with a pre-conditioned tactical rocket motor in hot, ambient, and cold temperatures.
All test requirements were met or exceeded, and all range, accuracy, and lethality objectives were successfully demonstrated.
“This was a critical step forward for the U.S. Navy’s 155-mm LRLAP program,” said Tom Pfenning, director of Precision Guided Munitions at BAE Systems. “BAE Systems continues to progress on track to fully qualify the 155-mm LRLAP in support of the deployment of the Advanced Gun System aboard the DDG 1000.”
The 155-mm LRLAP is effective against a variety of targets in multiple mission areas and was designed to provide expeditionary forces with an affordable, ship-launched alternative to currently used missiles. The LRLAP is guided by a GPS and Inertial Measurement Unit, allowing for high levels of accuracy at ranges beyond 63 nautical miles. This capability reduces costs by requiring fewer rounds to achieve desired effects on targets and is effective where collateral damage is an issue.
BAE Systems is progressing toward completing 155-mm LRLAP live fire testing in Q4 of 2013.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indian Navy contemplating CVN. Folly or Vision?
- US Navy News and updates
- Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) update
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Russia's Arctic Expansion
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- F-35 - International Participation
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Philippine Navy @ Janes Fighting Ships 2014-2015