Three People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy ships arrive in Sydney tomorrow as part of a four day port visit. The ships Yi Yang, Chang Zhou and Qian Dao Hu are returning to China from counter-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden.
China has a central role to play in contributing to regional security and Australia welcomes China’s continued efforts in working with other countries to combat piracy.
International dialogue is necessary to ensure a coordinated and effective international response to the threat that piracy poses to regional security.
As Chinese Minister for National Defence General Liang Guanglie and I announced in June, our navies will share the lessons learned on counter-piracy operations during this visit.
This ship visit is one of a number of defence engagement activities conducted this year to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Australia and the People’s Republic of China.
In May HMAS Ballarat visited Shanghai and conducted a passage exercise with the Chinese Navy frigate Anqing at the mouth of the Yangtze River.
In October Australia hosted PLA and New Zealand Defence Force personnel for Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) exercise Cooperation Spirit, which included a practical component.
Australia is committed to developing strong and positive defence relations with China through dialogue and practical activities.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- F-35 - International Participation
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Flanker Export Thread
- North Korean Military.
- Underwater UFO at Sweden
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Iran Inaugurates Production Line of HAFEZ Radar System
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Indian Navy Discussions and Updates