Suicides in the Army continue to remain high.
In October, there were 20 potential suicides of active-duty Soldiers, meaning that some have been confirmed and others remain under investigation. The number for potential or confirmed suicides in September was 15.
So far this year, there have been 166 potential or confirmed active-duty suicides, and last year there were 165 Soldiers who committed suicide.
“Suicide is preventable and its prevention is a shared responsibility among all members of the Army family,” said Gen. David M. Rodriguez, commander, U.S. Army Forces Command.
Among National Guard and Reserve Soldiers not in an active status, there were 13 potential or confirmed suicides in October, and in September there were 17 potential or confirmed suicides.
So far this there, there have been 114 potential or confirmed suicides among Guard and Reserve Soldiers not in an active status and last year there were 118, which were all confirmed.
Rodriguez said that everyone is empowered to intervene and save lives: “effective intervention requires leadership involvement and support, an environment that promotes help-seeking for hidden wounds like depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress, and prior knowledge of available local and national resources. We all must take the time to do a self-inventory to assess the presence and impact of stressors in our lives. Of equal importance is the awareness of the needs of others around us. There are no bystanders in our Army family.”
Soldiers and families in need of crisis assistance can contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Trained consultants are available 24/7 and can be reached at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or via the website at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- RMAF Future; need opinions
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Assad's strategic options
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- UAV for Meteorological duty.
- US Navy News and updates
- World Air force directory
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- [ List of "Active" Military Aircraft ] All Nations
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates