The Army is requesting a Fiscal Year 2012 base budget of $144.9 billion, with an additional $71.1 billion for Overseas Contingency Operations.
The budget restores a balanced force and begins the transition to a 21st Century army. It also increases funding for Active Component operating tempo (OPTEMPO) and related programs.
The budget provides for a 547,400-Soldier active-duty Army, 358,200 Army National Guard Soldiers, and 205,000 Army Reserve Soldiers. In addition, a temporary end strength increase of 22,000, is funded by the Overseas Contingency Operations, or OCO, budget. It also grants a 1.6 percent pay raise, a 3.1 percent housing allowance increase, and a 3.4 percent subsistence increase.
Budget provisions forecast the army investing $1.5 billion to modernize its Black Hawk helicopters and $1.4 billion to procure thirty-two new and fifteen re-manufactured CH-47 Chinook Helicopters with upgraded avionics at a cost of $1.4 billion.
The modernization program includes development of the Ground Combat Vehicle and upgrades to existing vehicles as well as a drone system for aerial observation of the battlespace.
The FY 2012 budget will sustain and prepare Soldiers for future challenges through advanced personnel and training, and provide the highest quality equipment while maximizing resources and minimizing costs.Army FY 2012 Budget Overview (292 downloads)
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Possible Singaporean Aircraft Carrier
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- French Armée de l'Air News & Discussion
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates