The U.S. Air Force successfully launched a United Launch Alliance Delta IV-Medium rocket carrying the third Global Positioning System IIF satellite at 8 a.m. EDT today, Oct. 4, from Space Launch Complex 37 here.
“The 45th Space Wing, Space and Missile Systems Center’s GPS Directorate, Boeing and United Launch Alliance team are proud to launch the third installment of the GPS Block IIF,” said Col. Robert Pavelko, vice commander, 45th Space Wing commander, who also served as Launch Decision Authority.
The first GPS IIF satellite, Space Vehicle 1, was launched by a Delta IV rocket on May 28, 2010 and the second one on July 16, 2011, both from Space Launch Complex 37 here at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
The GPS Block IIF satellites are built by Boeing, and will be operated by the United States Air Force following their launch by United Launch Alliance, using Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicles.
GPS satellites are launched at a rate to sustain the constellation to continue providing extremely accurate positioning, navigation and timing services to billions of users worldwide.
“Once again, the 45th Space Wing, working in concert with our talented mission partners, is delivering space assets that will greatly benefit our nation,” Col. Pavelko said.
“We earn our stripes and prove to the world what a world-class team we have with every single launch we execute from here,” he said.
GPS is a space-based, world-wide navigation system providing users with highly accurate, three-dimensional position, velocity and timing information 24 hours a day in all weather conditions. Every modern GPS satellite has been launched from CCAFS.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- The Indonesian Army
- S.Korea, Indonesia to develop 4.5 gen. fighter aircraft F-33
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- ESM device?
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates